Tuesday, October 31, 2006

St. Augustine of Hippo


St Augustine has always been one of my favorites saints! I thought it might be nice to share a few of his prayers and quotes with you!



Lord Jesus, Let Me Know Myself

Lord Jesus, let me know myself and know You,
And desire nothing save only You.
Let me hate myself and love You.
Let me do everything for the sake of You.
Let me humble myself and exalt You.
Let me think of nothing except You.
Let me die to myself and live in You.
Let me accept whatever happens as from You.
Let me banish self and follow You,
And ever desire to follow You.
Let me fly from myself and take refuge in You,
That I may deserve to be defended by You.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear You,
And let me be among those who are chosen by You.
Let me distrust myself and put my trust in You.
Let me be willing to obey for the sake of You.
Let me cling to nothing save only to You,
And let me be poor because of You.
Look upon me, that I may love You.
Call me that I may see You,
And for ever enjoy You. Amen.

Saint Augustine of Hippo, Bishop, Writer, Doctor


Prayer to Seek God Continually

O Lord my God, I believe in you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Insofar as I can, insofar as you have given me the power, I have sought you. I became weary and I loabored.

O Lord my God, my sole hope, help me to believe and never ro cease seeking you. Grant that I may always and ardently seek out your countenance. Give me the strength to seek you, for you help me to find you and you have more and more given me the hope of finding you.

Here I am before you with my firmness and my infirmity. Preserve the first and heal the second.

Here I am before you with my stregnth and my ignorance. Where you have opened the door to me, welcome me at the entrance; where you have closed the door to me, open to my cry; enable me to remember you, to understand you, and to love you. Amen.

Saint Augustine of Hippo



Quotes

God has no need of your money, but the poor have. You give it to the poor, and God receives it.


The love of worldly possessions is a sort of bird line, which entangles the soul, and prevents it flying to God.


Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet.


God does not command impossibilities, but by commanding admonishes you do what you can and to pray for what you cannot, and aids you that you may be able.


St. Augustine of Hippo


Dear St. Augustine,
help me to love God as you do, to obey him as you do, to know him as you do. Help me to follow your wonderful example. I wish to be like you!

No comments: